Hawaii Is First To Sue Over New Travel Ban

0
19

Hawaii has come out as the first to file a new lawsuit President Trump’s newest travel ban.

Attorneys representing the state went ahead and filed a 40-page request right before midnight Tuesday, asking federal judges to issue temporary restraint orders blocking the implementation of the president’s newest executive order.

New Travel Ban

Trump has signed the new ban Monday, which would see the prevention of foreign nationals that originated in six specific Muslim-majority nations from letting them enter the United States for the next 90 days, and all refugees will be banned for a total of 120 days.

“The new executive order is resulting in the establishment of religion in the state of Hawaii contrary to its state constitution; it is inflicting immediate damage to Hawaii’s economy, educational institutions, and tourism industry; and it is subjecting a portion of the state’s citizens to second-class treatment and discrimination, while denying all Hawaii residents the benefits of an inclusive and pluralistic society,” said attorneys for Hawaii.

“The executive order means that thousands of individuals across the United States and in Hawaii who have immediate family members living in the affected countries will now be unable to receive visits from those persons or to be reunited with them in the United States.”

Federal Response

The Department of Justice did not comment on the lawsuit, however Attorney General Jeff Sessions said Monday that this new ban was, in his opinion, necessary because “we cannot compromise our nation’s security by allowing visitors entry when their own governments are unable or unwilling to provide the information we need to vet them responsibly, or when those governments actively support terrorism.”

Hawaii previously sued regarding Trump’s original ban, but as a federal judge put a hold on the order, it was also put on hold. The state is now arguing how the hold on their lawsuit should be lifted as the new executive order has been revealed.

“To be sure, the new executive order covers fewer people than the old one,” said Neal Katyal, a lead attorney for Hawaii and previous US solicitor general.