Roadside bomb kills three soldiers in Egypt’s Sinai

No group has yet claimed responsibility for deadly attack in restive peninsula

0
47

Three soldiers were killed and eight others injured on Wednesday by a roadside bomb in Egypt’s restive Sinai Peninsula, according to the Interior Ministry.

In a statement, the ministry said the explosive device was detonated as a security patrol passed through the North Sinai city of Arish.

“Three army conscripts were killed and eight others injured in the attack,” the statement read.

Security forces have since cordoned off the blast site and are now combing the area for the perpetrators.

Thus far there has been no claim of responsibility for Wednesday’s attack.

Since the ouster of President Mohamed Morsi in a 2013 military coup, the northern Sinai Peninsula has been the epicenter of a deadly insurgency against Egyptian security personnel.

Over the last year, the “Welayet Sinai” (“Province of Sinai”) group — said to be linked to the Daesh militant organization — has claimed responsibility for a spate of deadly attacks on Egyptian security forces deployed in the volatile region, which shares borders with both Israel and the blockaded Gaza Strip.

LEAVE A REPLY