National Unity Party (UBP) Chairman Huseyin Ozgurgun reveals new cabinet after ruling coalition fell apart
LEFKOSA, Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus – Turkish Cypriot President Mustafa Akinci has approved a new coalition government cabinet under Prime Minister Huseyin Ozgurgun.
Saturday’s move comes after the UBP party, the junior partner in the wide-based coalition with the Republican Turkish Party-United Forces (CTP-BG), withdrew from the government on April 2.
Ozgurgun’s party formed a coalition with the Democratic Party-National Forces (DP-UG) and independents, and announced the government’s new cabinet list after submitting it for the president’s approval.
The new cabinet members are:
– Prime Minister: Huseyin Ozgurgun
– Foreign Minister: Serdar Ertugruloglu
– Finance Minister: Serdar Denktas
– Interior Minister: Kutlu Evren
– Economy and Energy Minister: Sunat Atun
– Labor and Social Security Minister: Hamza Ersan Saner
– Tourism Minister and Environment Minister: Fikri Ataoglu
– National Education and Culture Minister: Ozdemir Berova
– Health Minister: Faiz Sucuoglu
– Agriculture and Natural Resources Minister: Nazim Cavusoglu
– Public Works and Transportation Minister: Kemal Durust
Amid the government’s resignation, the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus is in talks with the Greek Cypriot administration. Hopes have been running high that a reunification agreement could be reached this year.
In July 2015 the UBP formed a coalition government with the CTP-BG. That party currently has 20 seats in the Turkish Cypriot parliament, and the UBP has 18.
The Democratic Party-National Forces (DP-UG) has five deputies, the Communal Democracy Party (TDP) has three, and there are four independent deputies.